As part of the Thinking Futures day on 5 November 2014, I made participants a little notebook to write things down from the academic talks in the morning. I made very simple pamphlet books with stitched covers.
I made the covers using a gelli plate, which is a way of monoprinting. I really love the gelli plate. It’s a clear sheet of jelly, about a centimetre thick, and it can be used over and over again. It’s very easy to use. I brayer on some fluid acrylic and then pull the print. You get the customary veined effect if you use the paint fairly generously:
Sometimes I just use paint rollered onto the plate:
Or use them to stencil onto:
Or stamp and use embossing powder:
Or you can great effects with plastic stencils used as a mask:
The last one uses sequin waste as a mask.
If you take a print after lifting off the stencil you can get really nice embossed effects:
Seriously easy, and although the plates aren’t cheap, it is very straightforward to get excellent results. My next step is to try it out on fabric.