These are really not very good photographs of the work I did on the new Laura Ashley piece. I have had a big burst of interest in this quilt, and I am wondering if it is because the other large piece has gone. There is a lot about at the moment on the subject of decluttering. One idea is that you have to clear out old stuff to let the new in. I wonder if I had to let go of that piece, which had every technique I knew at the time in it, and completely wiped out my bead collection, in order to produce something new.
Anyway, I spent a couple of hours yesterday working with scraps of cloth to put together the foundation for two panels. Again this is mainly fabric which would be in landfill if it hadn’t ended up on one of these pieces, although the Regency prints are commercially produced.
I wanted a record of how they looked before I started really working on them. The pinkier one has some embroidery already, but the bluer one is at the very beginning. The minute the embellishment starts to go on they really change. All of my embellished quilts are like Vegas showgirls – nothing much until they put on the bling and step out into the lights.
I will post again when I have made some progress on them, and it’s good to have some hand-stitching to do again in these long, dark winter nights.