This yellow and purple piece was based on experimenting with buttonhole stitch and detached chain or laisy daisy stitch. I really liked the delicacy of stitching into the buttonhole stitch with another row in a different thread. That got a bit overwhelmed by the layers of couching and buttonhole stitch:
I rather enjoyed making these donuts with buttonhole over the knotted yarns.
The main problem with finishing this off, or ‘resolving’ the design as some might put it, was that I had the original spiralling off blanket stitch ‘legs’ and the piece made no sense until I turned it round so that it looked like a buttercup type flower. Then I decided that the purple legs could be an insect like in a Dutch genre still life: